Combined Ugrad/ Grad
SEQUENTIAL UNDERGRADUATE/ GRADUATE STUDY (SUGS) PROGRAM
The Rackham SUGS program was developed to promote greater enrollment of qualified top undergraduate College of Engineering students in the Master’s program by making it possible for students to pursue a five-year sequential BSE/MSE (four years of undergraduate and one year of graduate coursework).
SUGS students are able to double count up to nine credit hours and transfer up to six credit hours from their undergraduate program to their graduate program. Eligible students typically apply to the SUGS program in their senior year.
- To be eligible for the SUGS program, the student’s minimum GPA must be at least a 3.2
- SUGS students do not Dual register
- Students earning Dual Bachelor’s degrees are NOT eligible for SUGS
- Students will enroll in Rackham for any term within 12 months of graduation with the approval of the program. In a few instances, students may have up to 6 credits of the undergraduate program outstanding upon enrollment in Rackham in accordance with Rackham rules. The undergraduate degree can be awarded as soon as the degree requirements are met
- During the student’s senior year, a SUGS application is submitted to Rackham by the required deadline (January 15)
- Must be registered for a minimum of 2 fulltime (9 Credit) terms, paying full tuition in Rackham only, with no other UM registration
- If you are a GSI or GSRA you still need to register for 2 full (9 Credit) terms
Additional items needed for your SUGS application:
- Complete the Online Rackham Admissions Application Form
- Select NAME graduate program “Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering M.S.E. (SUGS)“
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty familiar with you, preferably those who supervised your coursework and/or research
- Academic Statement of Purpose – The academic statement of purpose should be about your academic and research background, as well as your career goals
- Personal Statement – The personal statement should indicate how your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational, and other opportunities or challenges, have motivated your decision to pursue a NAME graduate degree at the UM
- The GRE requirement is waived for SUGS students
Ready to apply?
Applicants to this program should complete the Rackham School of Graduate Studies application.
Apply to the NAME SUGS Program here