Associate Professor SNAME Fellow; Office of Naval Research Distinguished Faculty Fellow: The Boeing Co Welliver Faculty Fellow
Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
213 NAME Bldg2600 Draper Drive Ann Arbor MI 48109-2145
Courses Taught at the University of Michigan:
MFG 599D(3)/ME 599D(3) - Decision and Risk Analysis for Automotive and Manufacturing Engineers, Spring '01
NA 277 (2) - Introduction to Probability and Statistics with Marine Applications, Winter 1998.
NA 385 - Ship Production and Shipping Management I
OE 460 - Decision Analysis (Fall 1983 and Fall 1987)
NA 400 - Maritime Management I (Major Rev.) Renumbered NA 380, Winter 1985
NA 470 - Ship Design
NA 474 - Optimization and Numerical Methods in Ship Design (revised, Fall '90)
NA 485 - Maritime Management II
NA 490 - Directed Study, Research and Special Problems
NA 518 - Strength Reliability of Ship and Offshore Structures
NA 560 - Ship Production (6 lectures), Winter 1994
NA 572 - Decisions in Ship Design
NA 580 (3) - Maritime Management II
NA 580 (4) - Optimization, Market Forecasts and Management of Marine Systems, Winter 1998
NA 582 - Marine Reliability Analysis
NA 590 - Reading and Seminar in Marine Engineering
NA 591 - Reading and Seminar in Naval Architecture
NA 990 - Dissertation/Pre-Candidate
NA 995 - Dissertation/Candidate
Probabilistic modeling and optimization of marine systems. Probabilistic modeling of the ocean acoustic detection process; marine systems reliability, maintenance and replacement. Bulk and liner shipping fleet deployment (1982-present); optimal deterministic, time dependent and stochastic vehicle weather routing in a weighted Euclidean space; structural reliability of marine diesel engine shafting systems (1982-present); artificial intelligence/expert systems applications in ship operations; development of expert and decision support systems for optimal container stowage (1985-1989); port and inland waterway project planning (1991-present); and marine transportation economics/management applications. Work in the above has resulted in more than 100 publications.
8.1 A.N. Perakis, “Fleet Operations Optimization and Fleet Deployment-An Update,” chapter 21 in Handbook of Maritime Economics and Business, 2nd Edition, invited and refereed chapter, Costas Th. Grammenos, Editor, Lloyd’s of London, pp. 603-624, Lloyd’s List, Publisher, 2010, ISBN 978-1-84311-880-0.
8.2 A.N. Perakis, “Fleet Operations Optimization and Fleet Deployment,” chapter 26 in Handbook of Maritime Economics and Business, invited and refereed chapter, Costas Th. Grammenos, Editor, Lloyd’s of London, pp. 580-597, LLP 2002, ISBN 1-84311-195-0. Book commemorates the 10th Anniversary of the founding of IAME, the International Association of Maritime Economists.
8.3 E. Nikolaidis, A.N. Perakis and M.G. Parsons, “Torsional Vibration Analysis of Diesel Engine Shafting Systems: A Structural Reliability Approach,” in Advanced Diesel Engineering and Operations, (edited by S. Haddad), Ellis Horwood/Wiley, 1988, pp. 107-159.
1. Zhiyong Yang and A.N. Perakis, “A Modified Duopoly Game Model in Bulk Commodity Transportation Markets”, Published in International Game Theory Review, Vol. 9, No. 2 (2007) 269-284
2. A.N. Perakis and Zhiyong Yang, ” Evaluation of the Economic Impact of Proposed Non-Indigenous Species Control Measures for the St. Lawrence Seaway Using Multi-Attribute Decision Theory,” Maritime Economics and Logistics, Vol. 6, pp. 16-33, 2004.
3. Zhiyong Yang and A.N. Perakis, “Multi-attribute Decision Analysis of Mandatory Ballast Water Treatment Measures in the US Great Lakes”, Transportation Research, part D, Vol. 9, 81-86, 2003.
4. S-C. Cho and A.N. Perakis, “An Improved Formulation for Bulk Cargo Ship Scheduling with a Single Loading Port,” Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 339-345, 2001
5. S.-C. Cho and A.N. Perakis, “Optimal Liner Fleet Routing Strategies”, Special Issue of Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 249-259, Fall 1996.
6. D.V. Lyridis, M.G. Parsons and A.N. Perakis, “Statistical Assessment of the Stochastic Modeling of Torsional Vibratory Loads in Internal Combustion Engines,” Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 39, No. 1, March 1995, pp. 76-85.
7. D.V. Lyridis, A.N. Perakis and M.G. Parsons, “Structural Reliability Analysis of Marine Diesel Shafting Systems: An Equivalent Stationary Process Approach to the Level Crossing Problem,” Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 38, No. 3, September 1994, pp. 253-258.
8. A.N. Perakis and B. Inözü, “Optimal Maintenance, Repair and Replacement for Great Lakes Marine Diesels,” special issue of the European Journal of Operations Research, focusing on operations research in water transportation, Vol. 55, (1991), pp. 165- 182.
9. N.A. Papadakis and A.N. Perakis, “On the Minimal-Time Ship Weather Routing Problem, “Operations Research, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 426-438, May-June 1990.
10. A.N. Perakis and D.V. Lyridis, “Level Crossing Probabilities for Multi-path Acoustic Processes with Bimodal Spectra,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 87, pp. 2122-2127, May 1990.
11. E. Nikolaidis, A.N. Perakis and M.G. Parsons, “Probabilistic Torsional Vibration Analysis of a Marine Diesel Engine Shafting System: The Level Crossing Problem,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 56, pp. 953-959, December 1989.
12. A.N. Perakis and N. Papadakis, “Minimal Time Vessel Routing in a Time-Dependent Environment,” Transportation Science, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 266-277, November 1989.
13. N.A. Papadakis and A.N. Perakis, “A Nonlinear Approach to the Multi-origin, Multi-destination Fleet Deployment Problem, “Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 515-528, August 1989.
14. E. Nikolaidis, A.N. Perakis and M.G. Parsons, “Structural Reliability of Marine Diesel Engine Propulsion Shafting Systems,” presented at the November 1985 SNAME.Annual Meeting and included in the Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Vol. 93, pp. 189-223, 1985.
15. H.N. Psaraftis, A.N. Perakis, and P.N. Mikhalevsky, “New Models for the Ocean Acoustic Detection Process,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 69, No. 6, June, 1981, pp. 1724-1734.