Diploma National Technical University of Athens, 1985; Naval Architecture, Marine and Mechanical Engineering
M.S.E. University of Michigan, 1987; Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
M.S.E. University of Michigan, 1988, Applied Mechanics
Ph.D. University of Michigan, 1989; Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
NA310, Marine Structures I
NA470, Foundations of Ship Design
NA 270, Marine Design
NA 340 Marine Dynamics I
NA321, Marine Hydrodynamics II
NA 644 Numerical Methods for Vibro-Acoustic Modeling of Complex Systems, graduate level course.
Auto 599 Automotive Noise Vibration and Harshness, graduate level course
Computational methods in structural acoustics, multi-discipline ship design, making design decisions under uncertainty, blast event simulations. Areas of expertise are in finite element and boundary element methods, energy finite element analysis, hybrid finite element analysis, blast and shock simulations, and in developing optimization algorithms for complex system design.
1. H. Y. Kim, N. Vlahopoulos, “A multi-objective bi-level optimization algorithm with global and local design variables,” Int. J. Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Optimization, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2015, pp. 265-281.
2. S. Hannapel, N. Vlahopoulos, “Implementation of set-based design in multidisciplinary design optimization,” Struct Multidisc Optim., DOI 10.1007/s00158-013-1034-2.
3. J. He, S. Hannapel, D. J. Singer, N. Vlahopoulos, “Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of a Ship Hull Using Metamodels,” Ship Technology Research, Vol. 58, No. 3, Sept. 2011, pp. 156 – 167.
4. K. Maki, R. Sbragio, N. Vlahopoulos, “System design of a wind turbine using a multi-level optimization approach,” Renewable Energy, 2012, 1-10.
5. C.G. Hart, R. Sbragio, Z. He, N. Vlahopoulos, “An Advanced Cost Estimation Methodology for Engineering Systems,” Systems Engineering, Volume 14, Number 4, 2011.
6. S. Hannapel, N. Vlahopoulos, “Introducing Uncertainty in Multidiscipline Ship Design,” Naval Engineers Journal, 2010, Vol. 122, No. 2, pp. 41-52.
7. C.G. Hart, N. Vlahopoulos, “A Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Approach to Relating Affordability and Performance in a Conceptual Submarine Design,” Journal of Ship Production and Design, Vol. 26, No. 4, November 2010, pp. 273–289.
8. C. G. Hart, N. Vlahopoulos, “An integrated multidisciplinary particle swarm optimization approach to conceptual ship design,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Volume 41, Number 3, 481-494.
9. J. He, G. Zhang, N. Vlahopoulos, “Uncertainty propagation in Multi-Disciplinary Design Optimization of Undersea Vehicles,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. Vol1, No.1, pp. 70 – 79, 2008.
10. Jun Dong, K. K. Choi, A. Wang, W. Zhang, and N. Vlahopoulos, “Parametric Design Sensitivity Analysis of High Frequency Structural-Acoustic Problems using Energy Finite Element Method,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, v 62, n 1, Jan 7, 2005, p 83-121.
11. N.H. Kim, J. Dong, K. K. Choi, N. Vlahopoulos, Z.D. Ma, M. P. Castanier, C. Pierre, “Design Sensitivity Analysis for a Sequential Structural-Acoustic Problem,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 263(3), 5 June 2003, pp. 569-591.
12. M. J. Allen, R. Sbragio, and N. Vlahopoulos, “Structural/Acoustic Sensitivity Analysis of a Structure Subjected to Stochastic Excitation,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 39, No. 7, 2001, pp. 1270-1279,
13. G. A. Borlase, N. Vlahopoulos, “An Energy Finite Element Optimization Process for Reducing High Frequency Vibration in Large Scale Structures,” Journal of Finite Element Analysis and Design, Vol. 36, 2000, pp. 51-67.
14. J. D. Reeves and N. Vlahopoulos, “Optimized Alignment of a USCG Polar Class Icebreaker Wing Shaft Using a Distributed Bearing Finite Element Model,” Marine Technology, Vol. 36, No. 4, Fall 1999, pp. 238-247.
15. T.C. Tecco, N. Vlahopoulos, and E.J. Vorenkamp, “Application of Numerical Acoustic Methods to Noise Reduction in Vehicle Compartments,” SAE Paper No.932433, SAE Journal of Commercial Vehicles, 1993, Vol. 102, pp. 355-360.