Research Interests: ^top
- Advanced analysis method for characterizing residual stresses and distortions in welded structures to understand the underpinning mechanics, residual stress and distortion mitigation technics
- Fitness-for-service (FFS) based defect acceptance criteria
- Advanced computational modeling procedure for manufacturing process effects
- Fatigue design and life prediction of welded structures
Dr. Shaopin Song is an Assistant Research Scientist in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (NAME) at the University of Michigan since 2015. He was a Research Fellow in NAME at the University of Michigan from 2013 to 2015. He received his Ph.D. and M.S. degrees in NAME from the University of New Orleans in 2012 and 2009, respectively, and B.S. degree in Port, Waterway and Coastal Engineering from Dalian University of Technology of China in 2007. He is a principal reviewer of the journal of Welding in the World which is co-published with International Institute of Welding (IIW) since Feb. 2016. He received 2012 Elmer L. Hann Award on best paper of the Ship Production Symposium from SNAME.
- Song S, and Dong P. A residual stress profile estimation method for narrow groove girth welds. PVP2018-84858. Proceeding of ASME 2018 PVP Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, July 15-20, 2018.
- Pei X, Dong P and Song S. A comprehensive structural strain method incorporating strain hardening effects: from LCF to Ratcheting evaluations. PVP2018-84860. Proceeding of ASME 2018 PVP Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, July 15-20, 2018.
- Song S, Dong P. Residual stresses at weld repairs and effects of repair dimension, Science and Technology of Welding and Piping 2017, 22(4):265-277
- Song S, Dong P. A framework for estimating residual stress profile in seam-welded pipe and vessel components: Part 1 – Weld region, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 2016, 146:74-86
- Song S, Dong P. A framework for estimating residual stress profile in seam-welded pipe and vessel components: Part 2 – Outside of weld region, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 2016, 146:65-73
- Dong P, Song S. WRC Bulletin 553: Weld residual stress estimate for FFS assessment and evaluation of local PWHT procedures, The Welding Research Council, ISSN 2372-1057, July 2016, https://forengineers.org/bulletin/wrc-553
- Dong P, Song S, Pei X. An IIW residual stress estimation scheme for girth welds in pressure vessel and piping components. Accepted for publication in Welding in the World (Invite paper), 2016, 60(2):283-298
- Song S, Dong P. Analysis of residual stresses in pipe seam welds and a proposed residual stress profile estimation method. PVP2015-45726. Proceeding of ASME 2015 PVP Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, July 19-23, 2015.
- Song S, Pei X, Dong P. An analytical interpretation of welding linear heat input for 2D residual stress models. PVP2015-45753. Proceeding of ASME 2015 PVP Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, July 19-23, 2015.
- Pei X, Song S, Dong P. An analytical method for estimating welding-induced plastic zone size for residual stress profile development. PVP2015-45750. Proceeding of ASME 2015 PVP Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, July 19-23, 2015.