Ph.D. The University of Texas at Austin, 2002; Civil Engineering
M.S. The University of Texas at Austin, 1998; Civil Engineering
B.S. University of Southern California, 1996; Civil Engineering
Numerical and physical modeling of multiphase flow & composite structures with focus on:
Prof. Young’s research focuses on the dynamic fluid-structure interaction response and stability of smart/adaptive multi-functional marine structures such as marine propulsors, turbines, control surfaces. Prof. Young has written over two hundred journal and conference papers related to the fluid-structure interaction response and stability of marine and coastal structures. Her research has been supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC), and the National Science Foundation (NSF). She has also served as a consultant to industry and government.
Prof. Young is a member of the Committee on the Update of National Naval Responsibility for Naval Engineering (B0164) managed by the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Executive Committee under the National Academy of Sciences. Prof. Young is also a member of the Seakeeping Committee for the International Towing Tank Conference (ITTC), and a member of the joint ITTC-ISSC (International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress) Working Group. Prof. Young served as the Society of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (SNAME) representative on the United States National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNC/TAM) between 2009-2014, and she is an active member on the SNAME H-8 (Propulsion Hydrodynamics) Panel. Prof.
Young is an Associate Editor for the Journal of Ship Research and the Journal of Offshore, Mechanics, Arctic, and Ocean Engineering. She is currently a Guest Editor for the special issue on Hydrodynamics of Marine Propulsion for the Proceeding of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. Prof. Young was the Lead Guest Editor for a special 2012 issue on “Marine propellers and current turbines: state-of-the-art and current challenges” for International Journal of Rotating Machinery. Prof. Young has also served as a member of the International Scientific Committee, Scientific Organization Committee, and/or Chair of multiple domestic and international conferences, including the Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, U.S. National Congress on Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, and many others.
1) S.M. Smith, J.A. Venning, D.R. Giosio, P.A. Brandner, B.W. Pearce, Y.L. Young, “Cloud Cavitation Behaviour on a Hydrofoil due to Fluid-Structure Interaction,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, in press, 2018.
2) B. Knight, R. Freda, Y.L. Young, and K. Maki, “Coupling Numerical Methods and Analytical Models for Ducted Turbines to Evaluate Designs,” Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, in press, 2018.
3) J.C. Ward, C.M. Harwood, and Y.L. Young, “Inverse Method for Hydrodynamic Load Reconstruction on a Flexible Surface-Piercing Hydrofoil in Multi-Phase Flow,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 77, pp. 58-79, 2018.
4) Y.L. Young, N. Garg, P.A. Brandner, B.W. Pearce, D. Clarke, and A.W. Philips, “Load-Dependent Bend-Twist Coupling Effects on the Steady-state Hydroelastic Response of Composite Hydrofoils,” Composite Structures, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.09.112, 2017.
5) D.T. Akcabay, J. Xiao, Y.L. Young, “Numerical Stabilities of Loosely Coupled Methods for Robust Modeling of Lightweight and Flexible Structures in Incompressible and Viscous Flows,” Acta Mechanica Sinica, DOI 10.1007/s10409-017-0696-1, 2017.
6) N. Garg, G. Kenway, J. Martins, Y.L. Young, “High-fidelity Multipoint Hydrostructural Optimization of a 3-D Hydrofoil,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 71, pp. 15–39, 2017.
7) E.J. Chae, D.T. Akcabay, Y.L. Young, “Influence of Flow-induced Bend-twist Coupling on the Natural Vibration Response of Flexible Hydrofoils,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 69, pp. 323-340, 2017.
8) Y.L. Young, C.M. Harwood, F.M. Montero, J.C. Ward, and S.L. Ceccio, “Ventilation of Lifting Bodies: Review of the Physics and Discussion of Scaling Effects,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, Vol. 69, 010801, 2017.
9) Y.L. Young, M.R. Motley, R. Barber, E.J. Chae, and N.G. Garg, “Adaptive Composite Marine Propulsors and Turbines: Progress and Challenges,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, 68, 062001, 2016.
10) E.J. Chae, D.A. Akcabay, A. Lelong, J.A. Astolfi, and Y.L. Young, “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Natural Flow-induced Vibrations of Flexible Hydrofoils,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 28, 075102, 2016.
11) C.M. Harwood, Y.L. Young, S.L. Ceccio, “Ventilated Cavities on a Surface-Piercing Hydrofoil at Moderate Froude Numbers: Cavity Formation, Elimination, and Stability,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 800, pp. 5-56, 2016.
12) Y. Mao and Y.L. Young, “Influence of Skew on the Added Mass and Damping Characteristics of Marine Propellers,” Ocean Engineering, Vol. 121, pp. 437-452, 2016.
13) R.J. Caverly, C. Li, E.J. Chae, J.R. Forbes, and Y.L. Young, “Modeling and Control of Flow-induced Vibrations of a Flexible Hydrofoil in Viscous Flow,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 25, No. 6, No. 065007, 2016.
14) X. Wang, S. Alben, C. Li and Y.L. Young, “Stability and Scaling of Piezoelectric Flags,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 28, 023601, 2016.
15) N. Garg, G.K.W. Kenway, Z. Lyu, J.R.R.A. Martins, and Y.L. Young, “High-fidelity Hydrodynamic Shape Optimization of a 3-D Hydrofoil,” Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 1-18, 2015.
16) D.T. Akcabay and Y.L. Young, “Parametric Excitations and Lock-in of Flexible Hydrofoils in Two-Phase Flows,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 57, pp. 344-356, 2015.
17) M.R. Motley, B.R. Savander, and Y.L. Young, “Influence of Spatially Varying Flow on the Dynamic Response of a Waterjet Inside an SES,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/275916, 257916, 2014.
18) D.T. Akcabay E.J. Chae, Y.L. Young, A. Ducoin, and J.A. Astolfi, “Cavity-Induced Vibration of Flexible Hydrofoils,” Journals of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 463-484, 2014.
19) D.T. Akcabay and Y.L. Young, “Influence of Cavitation on the Hydroelastic Stability of Hydrofoils,” Journals of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 170-185, 2014.
20) C.M. Harwood and Y.L. Young, “A Physics-Based Gap-Flow Model for Potential Flow Solvers,” Ocean Engineering, Vol. 88, pp. 578-587, 2014. 799-818, 2008.