Diploma National Technical University of Athens, 1985; Naval Architecture, Marine and Mechanical Engineering
M.S.E. University of Michigan, 1987; Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
M.S.E. University of Michigan, 1988, Applied Mechanics
Ph.D. University of Michigan, 1989; Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
NA310, Marine Structures I
NA470, Foundations of Ship Design
NA 270, Marine Design
NA 340 Marine Dynamics I
NA321, Marine Hydrodynamics II
NA 644 Numerical Methods for Vibro-Acoustic Modeling of Complex Systems, graduate level course.
Auto 599 Automotive Noise Vibration and Harshness, graduate level course
Computational methods in structural acoustics, multi-discipline ship design, making design decisions under uncertainty, blast event simulations. Areas of expertise are in finite element and boundary element methods, energy finite element analysis, hybrid finite element analysis, blast and shock simulations, and in developing optimization algorithms for complex system design.
PhD Committees Chaired
1. Xi Zhao, (chair), NAME, “A Basic Development of a Hybrid Finite Element Method for Mid-frequency Computations of Structural Vibrations,” 2000; recipient of NAME outstanding graduate student award 2000; recipient of McIvor award in Applied Mechanics 2000.
2. Ricardo Sbragio, (chair). NAME, “A Three-Dimensional Formulation for Deriving the Acoustic Sensitivity using the Boundary Element Method,” 2001.
3. Mike Allen, (chair), NAME, “Stochastic Analysis of Structural/Acoustic Systems,” 2001.
4. Kexin Hu, (chair), NAME, “A Finite Element Formulation for Coupled Rigid and Flexible Dynamic Analysis of an Internal Combustion Engine Crankshaft System,” 2002.
5. Zhidong Zhang, (chair), NAME, “Formulations for Acoustic Inverse Analysis Based on the Indirect Boundary Element Method,” 2002; recipient of NA&ME outstanding graduate student award 2001 & 2002; recipient of McIvor award in Applied Mechanics 2002.
6. Omid Ebrad, (chair), ME, “Detailed Main Bearing Hydrodynamic Characteristics for Crankshaft-Block Interaction in Internal Combustion Engines,” 2002.
7. Jin Wang, (chair), NAME, “Probabilistic and Sensitivity Analyses for the Performance Characteristics of Engine Bearings due to Variability in Bearing Properties,” 2003.
8. Weiguo Zhang, (chair), NAME, “Energy Finite Element Method for Vibration Analysis of Stiffened Plates Under Fluid Loading,” 2003; recipient of NA&ME outstanding graduate student award 2003.
9. Sang-Bum Hong, (chair), NAME, “Hybrid Finite Element Developments For Vibroacoustic Analysis of Vehicle Systems in the Mid-Frequency Range,” 2004.
10. Jiulong Sun, (chair), NAME, “Probabilistic Model Updating and Variability Assessment in Blast Event Simulations,” 2005.
11. Javid Moraveji, (chair), ME, “Modeling of Trim Panels in the Energy Finite Element Analysis,” 2008.
12. Xiaoyan Yan, (chair), NAME, “Energy Finite Element Analysis Developments for High Frequency Vibration Analysis of Composite Structures,” recipient of 2008 NA&ME outstanding graduate student award.
13. Park, Keychun, (co-chair with Matthew Castanier), ME, “Component-Based Vibration Modeling Methods for Fast Re-Analysis and Design of Complex Structures,” 2008.
14. Sungmin Lee (chair), ME, “Energy Finite Element Method for High Frequency Vibration Analysis of Composite Rotorcraft Structures,” 2009.
15. Christopher Hart (chair), NAME, “Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Complex Engineering Systems for cost Assessment under Uncertainty,” 2010 (outstanding graduate student award 2010), May 2010.
16. Shari Hannapel, (chair), NAME “, “Development of Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Algorithms under Uncertainty,” (outstanding graduate student award 2012), May 2012.
17. John Kim, (chair), ME, “Multi-Scale Modeling with an Inverse Mapping Capability for Designing Blast Resistant Composite Panel for Light Weight Vehicles,” December 2012.
18. Nicholas Stowe, (chair), NAME, “Focusing Energy Underwater Through Optimization of a Spherical Source Array,” May 2013.
19. Hong-Yoon, Kim, (chair), NAME, “A bi-level multi-objective optimization algorithm with a bounded multi-variate conjugate gradient method,” May 2015
20. Weiran Jiang (chair), NAME, “Lightweight Vehicle Structures that Absorb and Direct Destructive Energy Away from the Occupants,” October 2016.
21. Alyssa Bennett (chair), NAME, “Modeling the Dynamic Response Of Multilayer Plates with Shear Thickening Fluids,” May 2019.
- Zhang, A.R. Singer, N. Vlahopoulos, “Temporal clustering network for self-diagnosing faults from vibration measurements,” June 2020, arXiv:2006.09505.
- Kasapis, G. Zhang, J. Smereka, N. Vlahopoulos, “Using ROC and Unlabeled Data for Increasing Low-Shot Transfer Learning Classification Accuracy,” Oct. 2020, arXiv:2010.00721.
- Vlahopoulos, K. Wu, S. Medyanik, “Energy Finite Element Analysis for Structural-Acoustic Design of Naval Vehicles,” Journal of Ship Production and Design, Vol. 28, No. 1, February 2012, pp. 42–48.
- Zhang, A. Wang, and N. Vlahopoulos, “An Alternative Energy Finite Element Formulation based on Incoherent Orthogonal Waves and its Validation for Marine Structures,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol.38, 2002, pp. 1095-1113.
- Washington deLima, N. Vlahopoulos, R. Sbragio, J. He, “Interior Aircraft Noise Computations due to TBL Excitation using the Energy Finite Element Analysis,” SAE Paper 2009-01-2248, 2009 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, May 2009.
- Wang, N. Vlahopoulos, “Vehicle NVH Analysis Using EFEA and EBEA Methods,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Mech. Syst., 2(1): 814-821, 2009.
- B. Hong, A. Wang, N. Vlahopoulos, “A Hybrid Finite Element Formulation for a beam plate system,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 298, 2006, pp. 233 – 256.
- Vlahopoulos, N., Lee, S., Braunwart, P., Mendoza, J. et al., “Hybrid Finite Element Analysis of a Rotorcraft,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1995.
- Vlahopoulos, D. Sander, S. Lee, E. Bohler, G. Zhang, “Comparison between Finite Element and Hybrid Finite Element Results to Test Data for the Vibration of a Production Car Body,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1530, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-1530.
- Vlahopoulos, G. Zhang, “Validation of a Simulation Process for Assessing the Response of a Vehicle and its Occupants to an Explosive Threat,” 27th Army Science Conference, Orlando Fl, December 2010.
- Sun, N. Vlahopoulos, K. Hu, “Model update under uncertainty and error estimation in shock applications,” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-2373, 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Traverse City, MI.
- Sun, J. He, N. Vlahopoulos, P. van Ast, “Model update and statistical correlations metrics for automotive crash simulations,” 2007 SAE Congress, SAE Paper No. 2007-01-1744.
- Zhang, J. He, N. Vlahopoulos, “Multidisciplinary Design under Uncertainty for a Hypersonic Vehicle,” AIAA MDAO Conference 2010, Fort Worth, TX, Sept. 2010.
- Spain, J., Zhang, G., and Vlahopoulos, N., “Structural-Acoustic Modeling and Optimization of a Submarine Pressure Hull,” SAE International Journal of Advances and Current Practices in Mobility, SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1498, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-1498.
- Hannapel, N. Vlahopoulos, “Implementation of set-based design in multidisciplinary design optimization,” Struct Multidisc Optim., DOI 10.1007/s00158-013-1034-2.
- G. Hart, N. Vlahopoulos, “A Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Approach to Relating Affordability and Performance in a Conceptual Submarine Design,” Journal of Ship Production and Design, Vol. 26, No. 4, November 2010, pp. 273–289.
- J. Allen, N. Vlahopoulos, “Noise Generated from a Flexible and Elastically supported Structure subject to Turbulent Boundary Layer Flow Excitation,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol.37/9, August 2001, pp. 687-712.
- Zhang, N. Vlahopoulos, S. T. Raveendra, T. Allen, and K. Zhang, “A Computational Acoustic Field Reconstruction Process based on an Indirect Boundary Element Formulation,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 108, No. 5, November 2000, pp. 2167-2178.
- Ebrat, Z. P. Mourelatos, K. Hu, N. Vlahopoulos, K. Vaidyanathan, “An Elastohydrodynamic Coupling of a Rotating Crankshaft and a Flexible Engine Block,” ASME Journal of Tribology, Vol. 126, pp. 233-241, 2004.