If you’re a high school graduate who’s never attended a college or university, apply through the College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Successful applicants will be admitted to the first-year program in the College, where students from all disciplines follow a common program of study, emphasizing calculus, physics, chemistry and computing, as well as written and oral communication skills and selected courses in humanities and social science.

After successfully completing your first year in the College, you may declare NAME as your degree program.

Transfer Students (both internal and external)

Transfer students apply directly to the College of Engineering for admission to the NAME program.

If you’re enrolled in another University of Michigan college or school, then you are considered a cross-campus transfer student. If you wish to transfer from another two- or four-year college or university, then you are considered an external transfer student.

Transfer students can enroll at the beginning of their sophomore or junior year. The Office of Student Affairs maintains lists of equivalent courses at most Michigan institutions, as well as some out-of-state colleges. If you’re thinking of transferring, check the list to better understand what credits will transfer.


  • Math: Two semesters of college-level Calculus I and II
  • Physics: One semester of Calculus-based Physics with lab
  • Chemistry: One semester of general college chemistry with lab
  • Computing: One semester of computer programming, C++ preferred (or other acceptable courses: check with your advisor)
  • English: English Composition